Get regular inspections against white ants on your property
If you have a termite or ‘white ant’ infestation in or around your home, you need to call the experts before the problem gets any worse. Termites can eat away at your foundations, and devalue your property if and when you decide to sell. In any case, prevention is always more important than cure.
As a home owner, you can discourage termites by following these simple rules:
- Termites are attracted to wood, so remove timber stacks, old stumps, logs and other garden decoration from your home to prevent them from appearing. They are also attracted to water, so fix any leaking water pipes. Don’t forget to capture water from your air conditioning unit.
- As termites prefer humid conditions, try to improve sub-floor ventilation and drainage by allowing air under the house.
- Timber can be used to prevent a termite army, so use treated or naturally resistant timber when close to soil.
How to control a termite infestation
Regular inspections, either performed by yourself or an expert, are crucial in preventing a termite attack. There are a number of ways that you can control a termite/ White ant infestation:
- Arrange termite inspections at least once a year in cooler conditions, and twice a year in warmer months. Termites breed in humidity, so it is doubly important to check out your property twice a year in early spring/late summer.
- The cost of hiring a professional pest controller far outweighs the problems you will face should a termite infestation occur. Use their services if you need to.
- You can inspect your own home yourself more frequently than a professional, so always keep an eye out for typical termite activity.
Please click here to go back to Building & Pest Inspection Melbourne.